Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Vinyl, record breaking decay

One of the projects I am currently working on is a window and frame repair job for a friend. The window is one of the renters taking up space in my workshop at the moment, although I forgot to mention it in the post yesterday.

The outbuilding this window came out of was only built in the 80s, but the windows were recycled and were probably manufactured in the 50s or 60s



.
The building is completely wrapping in vinyl siding and the window casing was covered in the same garbage leading to its demise.

As the water runs down the wall and behind the "maintenance free" window casing, it becomes trapped and rots everything from the inside out.

The windows are an odd size, so even though I don't have any heart burn in replacing it (and the three others) with modern manufactured windows, I may have to rebuild the window and frame, which is why it is now sitting in the workshop.

The building framework had to be torn into, the rotted portions removed, and rebuilt, which is what I did on Friday.




Now I just have to figure out which path to take on the windows.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Comments and suggestions are always welcome!