Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Scrape your sander

Ever notice how a tool will always fail to perform just as you are on the last little bit of tasking that you need it for? Yup, me too.

I decided to add a a bit of a taper on the bottoms of the legs for laundry project last night.

After laying them out I cut most of the waste off on the band saw (which needs a new blade badly).
I then proceeded to work the taper to my mark using a belt sander wearing a 50 grit belt.




Zoom, zoom. Quick work.... Until I get the final taper, when the aluminum drive shaft on the sander sheared.

I picked up the Ryobi sander within the last 2 years and haven't used it excessively. I guess when it gets broken in, you get a new one. This is one of the reasons I would much rather buy an older but much more reliable model.

Anyway, I ended up grabbing a chisel to hog away most of the waste and cleaned it up with a card scraper.

I guess I'll be on the look out for a new belt sander.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Comments and suggestions are always welcome!