Thursday, January 24, 2013

4x10x.... Short!

Just realized today that the stock I had set aside for my ceiling joists are short.




The lumber I have set aside is 4 inches by 10 inches and between 14 and 16 feet long. The span of the shop...16 feet. *face palm*
So, I'm left with a few choices.
1) move the front wall in a few feet, making the area in front of the side door a full length porch. I don't personally favor this idea because I would be moving the weight off of the footers.
2) have some new ones cut up. Those would cost about $55 each and I would need at least 5 of them.
3) have the only two 16 foots run the length of the 32 foot span with a post in the middle. Then adding 8 foot joists off that center beam.
I'm not really sure what to do at this point, but I do plan to drink and ponder.
If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them!

2 comments:

  1. I think I'd get some more, you won't want it smaller in the long run and where ever you put a centre post it will be in the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Kev. I completely agree with you. I don't like it and I have no idea how I over looked such a simple fact when I was designing the shop. At that point, I could have simply designed it a little smaller. On the plus side, I was going to have my sawyer bring his boom truck up here to help me lift the beams to the top. He can simply bring me the new beams when he comes up. My current design had them spaced at 4 ft on center, which is sufficicient, but I would like them at 2ft intervals. Funding is the issue with that. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! Comments and suggestions are always welcome!