Friday, April 10, 2020

Work the corner a bit more


One of the best ways to prevent splintering and unsightly dings in corners is to work them a little more.

Whenever I build a piece I normally work the edges down with a handplane or sandpaper to take that edge off, breaking the edge.


This stops me, or anyone else, from getting cut or splinters. This also softens the corner and reduces the chance of dents.

Historically, beads on door jambs and wall corners protected the corner from chairs and other accidental dings.


On tables, such as the workbench, I run the handplane on the bottom edge, lifting the edge slightly off the floor.


And on the workbench, I taper the dog holes to keep them crisp, saving the edge from constant holdfast usage.


Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Comments and suggestions are always welcome!