Monday, February 18, 2013

Let's twist again

The window sash itself was also in need of repair from many years of water seeping into it from the sill and causing more rot. The damage was bad enough that a two part epoxy repair was out of the question due to missing sections of sash. But it still wasn't damaged enough to warrant replacing the entire rail and stile. That's when a couple of nice splices will do the trick .

To start with, I prodded the areas near the rot to access the extent of the damage and marked the areas to be removed. Using an oscillating cutter that I picked from Harbor Freight years ago, I cut out the sections to be removed and cleaned up the cuts using a sharp chisel.

Searching the scrap "corner" of the work shop, I pulled out a cutoff that was similar in species and in grain pattern. I then cut it down to size, planed to thickness, and adhered them using Gorilla Glue.

After the glue had dried sufficiently, I ran the sill over the table saw to trim the lower angle on the sash and sanded down the high spots. The real challenge was how to shape the inner trough of the stiles which were about and inch wide and rounded at the bottom.

Using a couple wooden round molding planes, I began the process of removing the extra material. After going as far down as that would let me, I shaved more off using a sharp chisel. This left a very rough and faceted surface that I wasnt' pleased with. I still needed some way to finish the rounded groove.
A little pondering and some ingenuity later I came up with something.

Using a piece of dowel that was the exact width of the groove, I stuck some 80 grit sand paper on it and twisted a trim screw onto the end of it. Using the drill, I rotated the sanding dowel into the groove and cleaned the trough to match. The screw was aluminum, so it didn't last forever, but it lasted long enough to get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Comments and suggestions are always welcome!