Friday, February 1, 2013

Get in line...I nailed it

Got up nice and early on Wednesday morning, got Shae coffee'd up and out the door, fed the critters, did my chores and headed out to do some nailing on the workshop floor. I know, exciting!

Actually, got out side too early and didn't want to start pounding until 8 am, so I split logs for about 30 minutes. (Which was plenty, sheesh)

Since I only focused on putting in a single nail per joist while I was laying the floor down, I have to go back and hammer the rest of them in.

I could just eye ball where to put the nails but it's incredibly easy to miss a 2 inch stud for some reason. So I rigged up a string to guide me along.




Using the butted ends of the flooring, centered on the floor joists, I simply placed the line 1/4 inch off center of the joist I was nailing. The floor joists are 24 inches on center, so the math was easy, even for me.

It took me a little less than two hours to manually nail in five joists worth and then I ran out of nails. That was all I could accomplish as I was called out to a house being demolished to see if I could salvage anything...but that's a story for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Comments and suggestions are always welcome!