Saturday, December 5, 2009

Vintage tools, they just plane crack me up

I think it's time that I introduced you to my Grandfather's tools, handed down to me from my Father. Some have always been favorites, others are soon to be the subject of future projects, and one, will be retired and will watch over the shop from its place of honor.



The meager number of tools shown above are: a Stanley No5 jack plane, 3 foot spirit level, drawknife, hand drill, and carpenter's square.

The square has a chunk missing out of the fence and the ruler is difficult to read. I may be able to clean it, but I'm not sure what to use and I'm afraid that I will end up loosing the measurements that are printed on it. I've got plenty of other squares of various shapes and sizes hanging all around the shop, but I continually find myself reaching for this old favorite that my Dad just recently handed down to me.

The level is missing the vertical tube, but that doesn't stop me from using it as much as possible, the horizontal tube and bubble work just fine. I don't have any plans to fix it or retire it just yet.


The hand drill and drawknife shown above have never been used by myself. I'm sure the drill only requires a bit of clean up and lubing, but the drawknife will need some tender, loving care. A couple new handles, some rust-busting, and a super sharpening. If lucky, this drawknife will be a happy, in-use drawknife.


Sigh, the poor Stanley No. 5 jack plane. I removed the blade and sharpened it before realizing that the forward section of the plane had been welded, causing the plane to sit slightly nose up. I will ask my Dad the next time I see him, but most likely this plane will keep it's secret and retire, watching over the shop.


My final vintage tool, one not shown in the top most photo, in the grinding wheel. This grinder sat in my Dad's basement workshop all my life, and I remember turning the handle constantly just to hear it "WHIRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr", just as my Mom and her sibling's did it in my Grandfather's workshop when they were growing up. The wheel needs to be touched up but I still use it from time to time and the "whir" is just as exciting as ever.

I did have one more tool that was passed down, a saw. I'm not certain, but after some research I believe it was a crosscut saw, but stolen from storage while I was deployed to the Middle East.

Well, that's it. It's not a collection by any means, but each and every one of them is special. I do plan to add to my hand tool collection in the future, but these tools will always be the most important. Thanks for reading and I hope to see you all next time when I start talking about projects past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Comments and suggestions are always welcome!