Saturday, September 25, 2010

Saw Hotel - Make your reservations!

With me being deep in the middle of my hand plane shelf project for the RV, I figured that I had better post before I forget how I made my saw hanger. ha ha.

I got the idea for this project from a friend in the Hillsborough Orange Woodworkers group and ran with it. I built it using some left over cedar from the Birdhouse project and some other random bits in the shed. For your approval, I present....the Saw Hanger Project! TA DAAA!

First, I planed some cedar flat for the back and face.


I cut down the back to 24 inches in length, allowing it to fit on the studs in Marks' shed...I don't think I'll be using this set up in the RV. With the length decided, I measured and drew a silhouette of what I was wanting the 'insides' to look like. 


For the inner structure, I first cut a small piece of cedar so I could hide plywood on the side. This seems silly now since I left the top and bottom visible. The idea of the hanger is to have a dowel in place that will use gravity to grip the saw blades.


Six plywood blocks and two end blocks are glued into place. The angle I used on the plywood is 60 degrees (I think).


Then, I cut the face plate to size and glued that on.


Being a perfectionist, I used Stanley #8 to joint up the top and bottom.


With a guide block, I cut some vertical slots using my big crosscut saw (a future tennent of the Saw Hotel). The kerf on this saw is one of the widest I have and it danced a little bit because I was rushing it, but it worked.


For some reason, I felt the face of the hanger needed a little more flattening. Way to go, Stupid. As soon as the blade caught the last slot, the force popped the cedar in half. Sigh.


Thankfully, the break was pretty clean and the cedar fit perfectly, so I glued it back up and continued on. It's shop furniture. ha ha.


While that was gluing up, I cut up some 1 inch diameter dowels to 3/4 inch in length. Just short enough to fit in the spaces between the blocks. I also cut some small tabs to be used as stoppers to keep the dowels from coming out the top.


For no absolute purpose than thinking that it would look cool, I cut and glued in some short pieces of oak dowel...


 ... and then cut them flush. Following up with a paring chisel to totally smooth the surface.


Add a little Boiled Linseed Oil, and it's ready for use. 


Here it is on the wall inside of Mark's shed. It grips quite well, thankfully because it's mounted over the door. It was a good project and helped me get all my hand saws off of the table where they were hiding under everything else. Putting them up there makes them quicker to find and saves them from rubbing against each other, saving me from resharpening them as often. I like it! ... but what will I do when I buy another saw?


Next Project: Molding Plane Shelf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Comments and suggestions are always welcome!